Cortana for windows is available here. Everything is becoming very simple these days. Technology is developing; more apps and easy features are coming out from developers. We have seen the Siri for iOS. It was the sensation in technology world. After that so many apps like Siri was released. This is up to iPhone/iOS devices. After that it came to android and windows versions. Among them Cortana is one. Cortana for windows is latest sensation. Cortana is free for windows 10. It will come as default for some users. If you are unaware of that I will explain you in detail, how to use Cortana for windows 10.
Some people will not like Cortana for some reasons. We will discuss about them too. If your device was not showing Cortana, don’t worry here I will tell you how to enable Cortana in windows 10. These days people are mainly searching for how to download Cortana for pc, Cortana for pc, Cortana for windows, Cortana for windows 10, Cortana for laptop. Cortana download.
If you’ve been using Windows 10 and haven’t started using Cortana, you may be interested in giving it a try. It’s basically Microsoft’s version of Siri and Google Assistant, but it’s integrated right into Windows. You can ask Cortana questions and it can help you do things on your PC. With each update, Microsoft adds new features and options to Cortana, making it somewhat useful. Since I sit at my computer desk most of the day, I’ve kind of gotten used to asking Cortana random things. In this article, I’ll show you how you can turn on Cortana and go through some of the more useful tasks it can do for you. Compared to Google and Siri, Cortana is still a bit behind, but it’s catching up fast.
- 1 How to Enable Cortana IN Windows 10?
- 2 How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10?
What is Cortana?
Cortana is a personal digital assistant from Microsoft, similar to Apple’s Siri and Google’s “OK Google,” that comes standard with Windows 10. Cortana is many things at once: a search engine, a secretary, a concierge, and more. With Cortana, you can conduct online searches, set appointments, draft emails, and create calendar events among other things, all from your home screen. You no longer have to open up individual applications to accomplish elemental tasks; with Cortana, all of these tasks are made easy.
To use Cortana, you can type in requests using the Windows search bar or speak directly to your computer – for voice dictation, all that is required is a microphone, which you will find comes as standard equipment on most Windows 10 devices. If your computer is on and your settings allow it, simply say “Hey Cortana” and the personal assistant will activate. You can then talk directly to your computer.
Why Cortana for Windows?
One of the major changes to Windows 10 is the presence of Microsoft’s voice assistant, Cortana. Along with voice searches, you will be given “suggestions” that the voice assistant makes. This includes reminders for scheduled events in your calendar, ideas when you are searching the Web for something, alternatives when you are quizzing Cortana for information, and more.
If you find this more annoying than helpful and don’t care about asking questions, you can turn Cortana off. Your options range from hiding the Cortana icons to completely disabling her and wiping your data from the Microsoft servers. Let’s take it one step at a time, so you can figure out what works for you – and how to bring Cortana back if you want her.
How to Enable Cortana IN Windows 10?
Cortana basically sits in the little search box that is to the right of your Start button. If you click inside the search box, you’ll see a settings icon at the far left. If you click on that, you can manage all of the settings related to Cortana. The first option at the top, Microphone, is the first step to using Cortana. If you don’t have a microphone on your computer, you can still use Cortana, but it’s not nearly as useful without the voice controls.
Steps to Enable Cortana for Windows 10
- If you click on Get Started, it will try to detect your microphone and then go through a wizard to check the volume and make sure the mic is working properly. Once you have done that, you can start enabling the other options listed. The first one is Hey Cortana, which will allow you to simply say Hey Cortana and then start asking a question.
- When you enable this feature, it’ll ask you to turn on speech recognition, which will send your voice input to Microsoft to improve their speech systems. Obviously, if you don’t like your voice commands being sent to Microsoft, you can simply choose Maybe Later. You definitely do give up some privacy when you enable Cortana because it wants to access your voice history, location, email, calendar and lots of other things. You can turn these on or off individually and I’ll show you how.
- Once you enable a setting, it usually will show you more related options. For example, the Hey Cortana feature will prevent your computer from sleeping by default so that it can hear you say those words whenever. It can also respond to anyone or try to respond to just you. When you enable the lock screen option, it’ll give you Cortana tips even when your device is locked. By default, it will give itself access to your calendar, email message and other data when the device is locked. You can uncheck that box if you like.
Settings in Cortana for Windows 10
- As you scroll down, you’ll see more options. You can enable a keyboard shortcut to access Cortana rather than having to say Hey Cortana. You can also download Cortana on your Android or iOS device and have notifications synced between the devices. Towards the bottom, you can also choose whether or not to enable device history and search history. Obviously, this will keep track of all your searches, etc., so toggle these depending on your privacy tolerance.
- Next, you need to check your permissions. To do this, click on the little notebook icon that is below the home button. You’ll see a list of items like About Me, Lists, Reminders, Connected Services, etc. You can set all these other options later, but first click on Permissions. Here you can turn on or off permissions for location, contacts/email/calendar, and browsing history. At the bottom, it also tells you how to clear all that data if you ever want to get rid of it. If you don’t enable location, Cortana doesn’t really work. I had to enable it in order to get the home screen populated. At this point, you should go through each of the items listed in the notebook and configure the settings.
Extra Settings to Enable Cortana for Windows 10
- The home screen will basically load up with popular stories, top news, local weather, and tips and tricks. I suggest scrolling down to tips and tricks and clicking on See more tips. This will give you a good idea of all the things that Cortana can do. The most useful for me have been using the lists, reminders and setting alarms. If you happen to use Spotify for your music, you can use Cortana to play songs, which is really nice. Also, like Amazon Alexa, Cortana supports third-party skills. Currently, they support about 45 or so skills that you can enable and use.
- Once you start using Cortana, the search box will show up over your entire screen and give you full-screen results. Overall, if you happen to be sitting in front on your computer a lot, Cortana becomes pretty handy. I stopped using Siri because I normally don’t like to talk to my phone when I’m not at home, but my computer is always used at home and that removes the awkwardness. Give it a shot and see what you think.
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10?
Cortana, the Windows 10 built-in digital assistant, function intelligently from searching the web, showing notifications to setting calendar reminders and other specialties. While how to disable Cortana in Windows 10 after Windows 10 Anniversary Update aroused quite a stir since Microsoft has removed the ability to turn off Cortana on. Security-conscious users might be wary of the AI assistant, Cortana, gathering too much personal data although it does bring convenience. It feels like someone keeps spying on you. Luckily, still there are some workable solutions to disable Cortana process completely on Windows 10.
Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Home via Registry
If you are using Windows 10 Home, disabling Cortana in Windows 10 Home through Windows Registry might be the best way. Now follow the instructions to turn off Cortana for Windows 10 Home computer.
Notes: It is highly RECOMMENDED to backup your registry and other important data before modifying Registry Editor in case of system crashes, which could lead to Blue Screen of Death, black screen, etc. You’d better create a restore point in advance. Since Windows will probably install the Anniversary Update automatically, you could roll back to Windows 10 if you don’t like it.
Settings in Cortana for Windows 10
- Use the Windows shortcut keys Win+R to open Run command, type regedit and then hit Enter.
- Follow the path:
Note: If there is no “Windows Search” key (folder) under the Windows folder, right-click on Windows folder and select New > Key. Name it “Windows Search”.
- Right-click on the “Windows Search” key (folder) in the left pane and then choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the value “Allow Cortana”. Double-click it and set the value as “0”.
- Close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer (or log out and log in) to make changes take effect.
Note: If you want to get the Cortana back in the future, you can navigate back here, locate the “Allow Cortana” value, delete it or set the value data to “1”.
After those steps, Cortana service should be hopefully disabled on your Windows 10 Home. Now you successfully hide Cortana in the background and disable the popup box.
Here as a result we came to a conclusion on cortana for windows 10. I think now you all get a deep knowledge about the entire article. If you have any queries regarding this article, kindly post them in comment box. We are always here to help you. Thank u.